Loading...
Facebook
X
LinkedIn
WhatsApp
Threads
Telegram

Democracy for the Citizens Party (DCP) leader Rigathi Gachagua has written to Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja seeking security assurances ahead of his planned visit to Emurua Dikirr Constituency in Narok County on Friday, August 21, 2026. In a letter dated August 20, Gachagua said he had received information about threats targeting his planned visit and asked the National Police Service (NPS) to guarantee the safety of his entourage, supporters and residents expected to attend the event. Gachagua said the visit was scheduled at the invitation of Vincent Rotich, the DCP candidate who contested the May 14, 2026, Emurua Dikirr parliamentary by-election. He said he would attend a thanksgiving event alongside DCP supporters and leaders from across the country. The former Deputy President specifically asked Kanja whether the police had been adequately informed of his planned presence and whether sufficient security arrangements had been made to protect those attending the event.

In his letter, Gachagua said he had seen and received reports of threats warning him and his supporters against travelling to Emurua Dikirr. He said some of the alleged threats had been captured on video and circulated on social media and reported by mainstream media. Gachagua argued that he has a constitutional right to travel to any part of Kenya and participate in political activities, while calling on the police to ensure that the exercise of that right does not result in violence or loss of property.

The DCP leader’s request comes days after political violence during the Linda Mwananchi tour in Homa Bay, which has heightened concerns around security at political gatherings. Gachagua’s letter goes beyond requesting security. According to reports on the letter, he alleged that Emurua Dikirr MP David Kipsang Keter and other individuals had issued warnings against his planned visit. He further alleged that Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen and Interior Principal Secretary Raymond Omollo were involved in efforts to mobilise people against his entourage.

Gachagua addresses supporters in Nyeri town on Tuesday, August 18, 2026.

Those are allegations made by Gachagua and have not been independently established. Reports do not indicate that Murkomen, Omollo or Keter had been found responsible for any planned violence. Gachagua also drew comparisons between the alleged threats in Emurua Dikirr and the violence witnessed during the recent Homa Bay political events. The request places responsibility on the National Police Service to assess the security situation and make appropriate arrangements ahead of the visit. Gachagua asked Kanja to assure the public that his entourage, DCP supporters and residents of Emurua Dikirr would be protected during the event.

The former Deputy President has also criticised the police response to previous incidents involving his political activities, making the latest letter part of a wider dispute over the security of opposition gatherings. For now, the planned visit remains scheduled for Friday, August 21, with Gachagua expected to attend the DCP thanksgiving event in the constituency. The specific security measures that will be deployed by the National Police Service have not been publicly detailed. The allegations contained in Gachagua’s letter also remain claims requiring independent verification.

The immediate concern for authorities will therefore be to ensure that the political gathering takes place without confrontation, while protecting the rights and safety of participants and residents in the area.