Insomnia is the most common sleep complaint. it occurs when you have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep.
The causes and symptoms of insomnia may vary from patient to patient but the most common include but not limited to the following symptoms:
- difficulty falling asleep
- Difficulty staying asleep throught the night.
- waking up too early in the morning.
it invoves both daytime and sleep disturbance symptoms. The effects of insomnia can impact nearly every aspect of a patients’s life. Studies show that insomnia affects in a negative manner , work performance, decision making and can easily damage relationships.
As many as 30% of adults complain of insomnia. it is more common in the following groups of people:
- older adults
- stressed people
- depressed people
- people with medical mental health problems.
There are two types of insomnia , and they are based on the reqularity of sleep disturbance and daytime symptoms.
- Short-term insomnia:this type occurs in about 20% of the people and can last up to 3 months.
- chronic insomnia: This type occurs atleast three times a week and can last for atleast three months. it affects about 10%of the people.
as earlier discussed symptoms and causes can vary from patient to patient but some of themost come causes are as folows:
- Daytime sleepiness.
- Attention problems, Concretration or memory(cognitive impairment).
- Aggression/impulvsiveness (can be observed from a person with insomnia).
- Lack of energy or motivitation.
- poor perfomance at work or school.
- moodiness or irritability.
If you think you have insomnia ;ask yourself the following questions??
- Does it take you more than 30 minutes for you to fall asleep or do you wake up during the night and have trouble returning to sleep,or do you wake up earlier than desired?
- Do you have daytime symptoms such as fatigue, moodines, sleepiness?take care