Children’s Curiosity leads to them doing something shocking or life threatening.
Doctors in Australia successfully removed a golf ball trapped in a 14-year old boy’s intestine after a chaotic procedure.
According to a report by the case report in surgery medical journal, the young boy put the ball in his anus and notified his mother after he discovered he was unable to retrieve or pass it.
they reported to the Royal Adelaide Hospital emergency department
“He was not in any pain and was able to pass flatus. The patient attempted to defecate in order to expel the golf ball without success,” doctor said in report.
Further examinations were done , and medics said they found no evidence of bowel obstruction or trauma to the perineal region.
“the patient underwent an examination under general anesthesia, and on rigid sigmoidoscopy, the golf ball was seen located within the sigmoid colon, beyond the reach of straight surgical instruments, “the report said.
In an over2-hour surgery, doctors unsuccessfully tried to recover the golf ball with various devices , among them a suction cup, medical net, looped snare, quad-prong grasper, retrieval pouch and balloon catheter.
“Taking into consideration the family’s reluctance to undergo more aggressive intervention and with the absence of colonic obstruction , we decided to trial volume laxatives to facilitate passage of the golf ball,” doctors said.
“In total, 1L of glycoprep was administered orally, resulting in the successful evacuation of the golf ball 3 hours later.”
The medics noted that the patient “remained clinically well” after passage of the golf ball, and was discharged the same day.
The report it reveled that the young boy had no bowel injuries and was advised against inserting further objects in his rectum.