The president of Kenya has created 49 state departments in his government. State Departments are headed by Principal secretaries who are appointed by the president after vetting by the parliament. The public Service Commission is responsible for Conducting and shortlisting the respective Principal Secretaries. They then Forward the list to the President and the to parliament for vetting.
Government Coordination has been moved from the ministry of interior and will fall under The Prime Cabinet Secretary. This is in line with the Kenya Kwanza coalition agreement.
The Principal Secretaries and State Departments
Principal secretaries are the accounting officers of their respective departments and ministries. Below is the classification of how the state departments have been divided among the ministries:
- The Ministry of Interior and National Administration which is to be headed by Kindiki Kithure will have the State Departments of Internal Security and National Administration, Correctional Services, and Citizen Services.
- The Ministry of National Treasury and Economic Planning whose Cabinet Secretary-designate is Njuguna Ndung’u will have two State Departments – Finance and Economic Planning.
- The Ministry of Defence which has Aden Duale as the Cabinet Secretary Nominee will have one State Department – Defence.
- The Ministry of Foreign and Diaspora Affairs will have two State Departments – Foreign Affairs and Diaspora Affairs. Alfred Mutua has been designated to take over as Cabinet Secretary.
- The Ministry of Public Service, Gender and Affirmative Action will have two State Departments – Public Service and Gender & Affirmative Action.
- Three State Departments – Roads, Transport and Public Works – have been created in the Ministry of Roads, Transport, and Public Works which is to be led by Kipchumba Murkomen as Cabinet Secretary.
- The Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development will have Lands and Physical Planning, Housing and Urban Development as State Departments.
- The Ministry of Information, Communication and Digital Economy has two State Departments – Broadcasting & Telecommunications and ICT & Digital Economy.
Also Read: Drama as Police lob teargas at Azimio MPs during the IEBC demonstration
- The Ministry of Health whose Cabinet Secretary-Designate is Susana Wafula has been divided into two State Departments – Medical Services and Public Health.
- In the Ministry of Education, there are three State Departments – Basic Education, TVET, and Higher Education & Research.
- The Agriculture and Livestock Ministry has two State Departments – Crop Development and Livestock Development.
- The Ministry of Trade, Investment, and Industry, which is to be led by Moses Kuria, has three State Departments – Trade, Investment Promotion, and Industry.
- The Ministry of Cooperatives and MSMEs Development has been designated to have two State Departments – Cooperatives and MSMEs Development.
- The Ministry of Youth Affairs, Sports and Arts will have two State Departments – Youth Affairs and Sports & Arts.
- The Ministry of Environment and Forestry also has two State Departments – Environment and Forestry.
- The Ministry of Tourism will have two State Departments – Tourism & Wildlife and Culture & Heritage.
- In the Water Ministry, we have Water and Sanitation as one State Department while Irrigation is the other.
- The Ministry of Energy and Petroleum has Energy and Petroleum as State Departments.
- The Ministry of Labour and Social Protection gets two State Departments – Labour & Skills Development and Social Security & Protection.
- The EAC Ministry has two State Departments also named EAC Affairs and ASALs & Regional Development.
- The Ministry of Mining has three State Departments – Mining, Blue Economy and Shipping & Maritime Affairs.